Friday, October 12, 2007

Watch YouTube Videos and Other Streaming Media on your HTC

I couldn't sleep the other night, so I was checking out the latest and greatest things to add to my HTC S620. I decided I was going to find a way to play RTSP (real time streaming protocol) video on my phone. I came across, and downloaded HTC’s Streaming Media Player (SMP), which is apparently pre-installed on the latest Windows Mobile 6.0 devices. To test it, I went to YouTube Mobile and was able to successfully view a number of videos* there. Since then, I have had occasional problems connecting to the streams. The SMP will launch and the screen with say "Connecting..." but it will not start buffering. I don't know if this is a Streaming Media Player problem, a YouTube issue, or is network-related, but access to streaming video some of the time is better than access to streaming video none of the time. One other note: Video can be degraded when watching at EDGE speeds. I connect to Wi-Fi for optimum viewing.

* I'm not much of a YouTuber, so I may be a little behind the times, but I watched a couple of videos from Potter's Puppet Pals on my phone and found them to be absolutely hilarious. As a parent who has been reading the Harry Potter books to our eight-year-old every night at bedtime for months, I wanted to share the video with him, but I found only one of the videos to be marginally appropriate (Ron finds a pipe bomb in "The Mysterious Ticking Noise" and swear words are bleeped out in "Wizard Angst").
Post a Comment